My husband used the word ‘lame’ when I told him this blog entry title. I prefer the terminology ‘super cute.’ For those of you who don’t know this already, I am the queen of all things corny. If you follow my blog then you’ll be subjected to all sorts silliness, puns, inappropriate references, etc.….you’ve been given fair warning!
Anyways, let’s get back to the ‘core’ of this post .
Feeling super lazy this weekend, I decided to bust out the good ole Bisquick pancake mix and make some old fashioned, box recipe pancakes. But the Martha in me couldn’t resist jazzing up these delicious pancakes with a little touch of my own. So I decided to make a quick topping for the pancakes using my favorite fruit of the season – apples.
I made enough for just me and the hubs so you should approximate the serving size to be about 6 medium sized pancakes (yes, me and my husband have BIG appetites).
The recipe is super simple:
1) Peel and chop one medium sized apple into 1 inch cubes (I used a red gala apple).
2) Melt a tablespoon of butter in a small pan over medium heat.
3) Add the chopped apple to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes. I like my apples a little crispier so I cooked them for about 7 minutes.
4) Add 2/3 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and another 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the pan and toss the apples until completely coated. Cook for an additional minute.
5) Pour over pancakes and wah lah!…you have yourself some fancy pants pancakes.
This apple cinnamon topping is a perfect example of how you can add a little extra something to your everyday just by using a few ingredients laying around the house. It doesn’t take very much time but it sure does make you feel oh so good!