Servings: about 12 onion rings (various sizes)
-Vegetable oil, for frying
-1 egg white
-1 cup dark beer
-1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-3/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra for sprinkling
-1/2 teaspooon pepper
-1 large onion, sliced into 1/2 inch rings
1) Pour enough oil in a medium saucepan to reach a depth of 2 inches.
2) Heat the oil over medium heat. You can test if the oil is ready by dropping in a small piece of bread. If it floats to the top it is ready.
3) In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg white until frothy.
4) Stir in the beer.
5) Add the flour, salt, pepper and mix until the batter is smooth.
6) Cut the onion into 1/2-inch slices and separate into rings.
7) Dip the onion slices into the batter and allow any excess batter to drip off.
8 ) Fry for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
9) Transfer the fried onion rings to paper towels to drain.
10) Sprinkle the onion rings with salt while they are still warm.
These onion rings are best if served immediately.