Servings: Approximately 12 meatballs
-1 14-ounce jars of marinara sauce
-1 slice of whole wheat or multi-grain sandwich bread
-1/2 pound lean ground beef
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
-1 small egg
-1/3 small onion, finely minced
-1 clove garlic, finely minced
-1/4 cup chopped parsley
-1 1/2 tablespoons chopped basil
-1/2 teaspoon oregano
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon pepper
-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1) Heat marinara sauce in a large, wide pot over medium heat.
2) Remove crusts from bread, place bread in a medium bowl and pour water over the bread.
3) Let the bread sit 10 minutes and squeeze out the excess water and set aside.
4) Add the ground beef, cheese, egg, onion, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and bread to a bowl.
5) Gently toss to combine (do not over mix or the meatballs will be tough). Roll the mixture in your hands to create meatballs the size of a golf ball.
6) Gently drop the meatballs in the warm sauce. Return tomato sauce to medium-low heat, bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until meatballs have cooked through, about 30 minutes.