Servings: 12 cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons red food coloring mixed with 2 Tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 Tablespoon sour cream
Cream Cheese Icing
-6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
-4 ounces cream cheese, softened
-1 cup confectioners sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3) Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
4) In a separate small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and red food coloring.
5) Add to the batter and butter and sugar mixture and mix until completely combined.
6) Add the flour and milk a little bit at a time to the batter and mix until smooth.
7) Lastly, add the salt, baking soda and vinegar. Mix until completely combined and smooth.
8 ) Pour the batter into a lined cupcake pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
9) Cool completely before icing the cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
10) Beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed for about 5 minutes.
11) Slowly add the confectioners sugar until all is incorporated.
12) Add the vanilla and mix for a few minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Note: This is a very soft icing. If you want it to be stiffer you will have to add more confectioners sugar but you will lose some of the cream cheese flavor.