Servings: 12 cupcakes
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
-1/4 cup butter, room temperature
-2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
-2 tablespoons milk
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Apple Pie Filling
-1 1/2 tbsp. butter
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1 1/3 tbsp. sugar
-2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
-Dash of Nutmeg
-1 cup white sugar
-1/2 cup butter
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract (the good kind)
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a standing mixer (or bowl), cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
3. Combine flour and baking powder and add to the mixture (while this standing mixture is still running)
4. Add the milk until the batter is smooth.
5. Use an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake liners.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. While the cupcakes are baking heat the butter a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
8. Add the cinnamon and sugar and cook for a minute, until the mixture begins to bubble.
9. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the apples and nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
10. Cook until the apples are somewhat tender, about 10 minutes. Be sure not to overcook.
11. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Cinnamon Buttercream Icing
12. While the cupcakes and apple mixture are cooling, place butter in large bowl and beat on low for about 30 seconds.
13. Add sugar about a cup at a time, beating on low between each addition.
14. Add milk, vanilla and cinnamon and beat on medium until all ingredients are incorporated.
15. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, use a paring knife to cut a shallow hole in the cupcake.
16. Fill the hole with the apple mixture.
17. Using a star icing tip, pipe the icing on top of the apple mixture.